Straffan Antiques: 01 627 4018
Straffan Design: 01 627 4018, also 085 1100 477
Victorian Tea Rooms: 01 627 5797
A mid 19th century Dublin long case clock by Donegan. Guaranteed perfect working order.
Donegan of Dame St., a business which spanned two generations, epitomized a spirit of Irish clock and watch craft. They leaned heavily on the use of Gaelic symbols such as, shamrocks engraved into watch cases, carved into timber work and painted on clock dials in green and gold shading. The harp and round tower along with wolfhounds and designs representing the Giant’s Causeway were also hallmarks of this imaginative firm. Donegans were also favoured by the Catholic clergy of the day and many oak and ash clocks were produced to satisfy the custom of a Church eager for timepieces, but who wanted to avoid the flamboyance of the figured mahogany clock cases. Elaborate engraving distinguished the work of John Donegan, who became known as the ‘last of the Irish clockmakers'. Donegan was a prolific watchmaker and carried on his business at various addresses in Dublin. He is first recorded at 21 Essex Quay in 1844. Between 1846 and the early 1850s he traded at 5 Ormond Quay where, for a period, the firm traded as Donegan and Wright. His last recorded addresses in the Dublin Directory of 1862 were at 32 Dame Street and 24 Essex Quay. The latter may have been his residence.
REF : A3044
* required fields